Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Rainy Day, Dream Away

BUDDY MILES
1947-2008

Rainy Day, Dream Away

I got the sad news last night over at Funky 16 Corners that Buddy Miles had passed away in his longtime home of Austin, Texas this past Tuesday.

I was introduced to the sheer energy of Buddy by Electric Ladyland, an album which I simply played to death while I was in high school. Even today, this record still manages to connect emotionally with me every time I hear it. Hendrix was producing the Buddy Miles Express at this point, and Buddy plays drums on two cuts on this monster double album; our current smokin' selection, and the extended jam that arose from it, Still Raining, Still Dreaming. Just fantastic stuff, it took the whole Hendrix experience (if you will) to the next level.

This was the seed that led to the formation of the Band Of Gypsys, the groundbreaking trio which included Buddy and King Casuals bass player Billy Cox. Another major high school record of yours truly, the LP they recorded at the Fillmore East on New Year's Eve 1969 still holds up today as one of the best live albums ever. I was fortunate enough to see them just about a year later, as part of the massive Winter Festival for Peace at Madison Square Garden. Sadly, Hendrix was too stoned to play much (Buddy maintained that he was purposely 'dosed' with two hits of acid backstage), and it was up to Miles to try and pull it all together. It was a short set.

Jimi, as you know, was dead within a year. Buddy Miles went on to carve out his own unique niche as one of America's most beloved musicians over the course of his career.

May he rest in peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger kenshane said...

I was at the Winter Peace Festival. Hendrix may have been stoned, but I remember most clearly was how annoyed he was at Miles that night. He kept turning around in an attempt to demonstrate the correct tempo or rhythm. He finally got so frustrated that he threw his guitar down and walked off. Maybe it was the drugs, but I think it was the drums.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange, I only heard about this a couple hors after I was listening to a song he did in the 70's.., "Rockin' & Rollin' In The Streets Of Hollywood" Buddy was a good fellow. He was also, I heard, the singer of those TV commercilas about California grapes & raisons.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I not only love the track you've posted, but also the pic of Buddy and Jimi. I got the DvD of Jimi's Band of Gypsies playing at The Filmore, and all I can say is that Buddy certainly was a great musician: simply captivating.

Inga

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check this Jimi Hendrix rare footage video. That's great

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home