Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Jerry Vale - 'O Sole Mio (Columbia S7-31468)



'O Sole Mio



Jerry Vale came up out of the Bronx in the 1950s with a voice as big as the whole world. If you grew up in New York like I did, you knew that voice. It spoke of Arthur Avenue and Mulberry Street, of Chianti and red-checkered tablecloths, of all things Italian-American. An aroma as much as a sound, I swear I can smell the red gravy cooking whenever I hear it. Few artists, to me, are more evocative of a time and place... "Hey Bob," my friends from Brooklyn would say, "how long have you wished you were Italian?" At least as many times as I heard Jerry Vale sing.

Eterno Riposo concedere a lui, o Signore...

3 Comments:

Blogger Boogaloo Time said...

Hi Red,
thanks for posting jerry, I am a Bostonian/Sicilian, and there are no better memories in my life than waking up on a sunday morning to the smell of garlic, gravy and meatballs simmering on the stove and some hot italian bread. RIP Jerry Vale

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Rod Parkes said...

The picture appears to show a 33rpm single - pretty unusual.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Red Kelly said...

Rod -

This one wasn't released as a 45 at the time (Columbia did issue one in its 'special product' oldies line years later), the disc pictured here was part of a 7 single 33!/3rpm juke box package, that encompassed the whole Italian language "I Have But One Heart" LP.

Check it out:

http://www.45cat.com/record/js757

...pretty unusual indeed! Thanks!

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home